Sunday, July 29, 2007

Wooh Glacier day!

This is very much a belated post, two weeks old in fact, but I think the occasion is important enough that it demands posting even now. And that occasion was...glaciers chumps! Thats right I had a rare day off earlier this month and had the opportunity to take a free flight over glacier bay! What were you doing that day? Flying for free over gods most beautiful icy creations? I dont think so.

Yeah it was pretty sweet, it was funny too because the pilot played over the speakers all these uppity and inspirational tunes when he wasnt talking. I wont lie, he played alot of enya, it was very uplifting, I felt triumphant-as if I had just survived breast cancer or something. So uplifting in fact I felt like I was about to sail away...sail away sail away sail away
Anyways the scenes pretty amazing here- you can see in the glacier these kinds of dark stripes in the river of ice, those are called moraines. I forgot what they are because I was so caught up in the sights and the enya, but if I were to venture a guess I would say they are the skidmarks of the glacier. While admiring them too I think I spotted the ice demon in the icy crags below!




So after we returned from the flightseeing the glacier extravaganza did not end! In fact I joined Blake, Brian and their repsective Jen's for an epic hike where we got to see more glaciers. I was up to my ass in glaciers! So much cooler than your day in mid july, but then again we already established that. The hike was to the international falls for which we are posed over top of one in the above pic. But the neat thing about the hike is that you followed it up to one pretty waterfall after another until the trail disappeared and there was nothing but rocky terrain leading on up to a far off summit that overlooked some fantastic glaciers---I think one of them was called the davison or maybe it was the cady glacier, wait you know what it was davison because cady was the name of roebrt deniros character on Cape Fear and I just watched that last night. Whew creepy. Cape Fear I mean not the glaciers, they are awesome.




Hear you can see blake trekking up the path, this wasnt even the derned summit this was just the view behind us! If look closely you might be able to see blakes army sweater and the Glock on his belt. That's ol Blake for ya, always ready for the revolution.





And hey look its me and Im at the top of the summit! First one up in fact, and in style with my khakis and brown church shoes (not pictured). It was a ridiculous summit though, we had to hike around these frozen lakes and cross over these snow banks and jump over icy creeks, I was so thirsty too but didnt have water I had to drink glacier water at the top of the hill. It was cold and delicious and I think I got giardia from it, oh well, when you've had one parasite you've had them all.
Anyways that was my glacier day, again I reiterate, cooler than your midjuly day. Anyways Ive got more to come blog wise so stay tuned peeps
E

1 comment:

Jill said...

Eric,

I'm so jealous!!! You really should be a travel writer - you crack me up! Love the "breast cancer survivor" comment - well... loved it all actually. Great blog!

Love seeing you on top of the world!